Whether your tax issues involve income taxes, transfer pricing, indirect taxes or other taxes, KPMG’s Tax Litigation & Dispute Resolution team can help.
We assist companies, professionals and high net worth individuals to protect against, prepare for, and respond to challenges by the various tax authorities.
We are experienced in stages of the tax dispute – from pre-transaction analysis and documentation to tax litigation in the Supreme Court of Canada.
Our approach is designed to cut through the complexity of dealing with tax disputes through effective strategies for their mitigation and management including resolution via the litigation process, if necessary.
- Obtaining technical rulings, advance pricing arrangements, opinions, clearances and waivers in advance of your transactions
- Navigating voluntary disclosure, advance compliance and other tax authority programs.
- Negotiating audits, responses to audit queries, and administrative and judicial appeals
- Responding to the CRA or other tax authority demands for information or documentation
- Engaging with the CRA or other tax authority to agree on a project-based approach to progressing issues collaboratively
- Working with senior CRA or other tax authority officials to help ensure stated administrative policies and procedures are followed.
- Making informed decisions on preferred options for resolving difficult disputes, e.g. alternative forms of dispute resolution, settlement, and, if needed, litigation
- Helping finalize settlements and ensure appropriate documentation in collaboration with the tax authority
- Managing the tax dispute resolution process in a non-confrontational and effective manner.
KPMG in Canada along with our affiliated law firm, KPMG Law LLP, is authorized to perform legal services and is well equipped with professionals in tax litigation.