Our strategy to achieve this includes:
- Reducing the footprint of our property estate and increasing the energy efficiency of our buildings
- Increasing the energy efficiency of our IT estate
- Engaging our people on best practice energy use both at work and in the home
We have managed to reduce our energy consumption over the past five years. The increase in 2009/10 against previous year was in main due to a period of major change in our estate, particularly in Birmingham and London where we had to run both our new buildings and those we were vacating.
As a result of our ongoing efficiency investment programme in our buildings, the underlying trend continues to show a decline in energy demand on a like for like basis.
For example, through the design and the technology involved at 15 Canada Square, KPMG’s new Headquarter building in Canary Wharf, London we are targeting a 50% cut in carbon dioxide emissions, well exceeding the 28% regulatory requirement.
Key features include:
- a tri-generation boiler that generates electricity and recycles the resultant heat to warm the building
- energy-efficient chilled beams for air cooling
- Link our internal lighting to daylight – maintaining minimum internal lighting levels whilst switching off perimeter lighting when there is sufficient daylight to light the perimeter zone.
We have also improved the energy efficiency of our wider estate through measures including:
- Installation of sophisticated Building Management Systems in all major UK offices and the plant operations of these sites can now be controlled locally or from one central location.
- Smart meters have been rolled out to all sites for electricity and gas.
As part of Saving for Good, our internal environment awareness programme, we conducted a number of initiatives on the issue of energy use including:
- Participationng in Earth Hour 2011
- Energy Efficiency as a key theme in the World Environment Day 2011 campaign, involving an Energy Quiz and key suppliers providing support on the day
- Volunteering opportunities for our employees to help KPMG’s People Charity save energy
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.