KPMG in Romania’s Environmental Advisory Services is an active member of KPMG’s Global Sustainability Services (GSS) Network and benefits from its experience and support.
KPMG Environmental Advisory Services not only provides experience in environmental issues at regional level, but a comprehensive knowledge of this field in Western Europe, Central and Eastern Europe, using methodologies available in KPMG GSS Network.
KPMG Romania is able to provide a wide range of services relating to environmental protection and sustainability projects to its clients. Among the environmental services categories offered by KPMG are:
- Environmental audit (EA) consists of a systematic, documented and regular assessment of the level of the company, the management, infrastructure and environmental equipment comply with safety environmental protection requirements. Environmental audit can also be developed to guarantee funding (e.g. bank loans, financial aid, grants, etc.), being one of the procedures of financing institutions.
- Environmental balance (EB) – An environmental assessment, developed according to a specific Romanian regulation (MO 184/1997) by companies or persons accredited by Ministry of Environment. KPMG Romania is accredited to develop EB, as main auditor for 10 of maximum 12 possible types of activities. The EB is the environmental report requested by environmental authorities in the process of authorization from environmental point of view, for companies whose activities have a significant impact on the environment.
- Impact Study (IS) is an essential component of the dossier submitted by companies to obtain environmental agreement. Impact studies aim estimating the environmental impacts generated by new investments and / or the modernization / re-tehnologization of companies. IS needs to be developed by companies or persons accredited by Ministry of Environment and KPMG Romania is accredited for 10 types of activities.
- Environmental Due Diligence (EDD) studies aim determining the degree of compliance of the company with environmental legislation in force, identifying actual and past environmental issues and future environmental risks and responsibilities that the company may face. This type of study is useful for companies involved in different types of transaction.
- Assistance in conceiving and implementing an environmental management system (EMS) in compliance with the requirements of ISO 14001 - checking the environmental management system implemented in the company Health, Safety and Environmental Public Report helps in monitoring the performance of a company; it can bring benefits in business and current activity, proving the transparency of the company which issues the report.
- Integrated reporting: Environmental Issue in financial reporting lead to the improvement of company’s transparency and proving the level of compliance with IFRS requirements.
- Risk Studies (RS) necessary when a significant pollution on a particular location was proved.
- Safety Reports – as presented by GD 804/2007, identify major risks involving hazardous substances, identify the necessary measures to be taken in case such potential accidents occur and measures limiting their consequences for population and environment.
- Assistance in climate change issues: validation and verification of Joint Implementation (JI) projects; assistance in monitoring and reporting GHG emissions under EU ETS Directive(transposed into Romanian legislation by GD 780/2006 on setting up the scheme of GHG emissions trading.
- Verification of public sustainability reports or corporate responsibility reports - are understood as an integrant part of the concept of sustainability, a contribution of the business environment in achieving sustainability targets. An opinion issued by a third party on a non-financial report raises the degree of confidence of all interested parties regarding the information included in the report.