Building on this momentum, we set a new emissions target in 2011 calling for a further 15 percent reduction in net emissions (against a 2010 baseline) per full-time equivalent by the end of 2015. Significant progress has been made toward the new target; as we have achieved an eight percent net emissions reduction per full-time equivalent and a nine percent reduction in gross emissions per full-time equivalent in 2012.
KPMG has also increased energy efficiency, reducing electricity usage by three percent total kilowatt hour (kWh) consumption per square meter in facilities worldwide since 2010. We also increased our reliance on renewable sources, which now account for approximately 25 percent of global electricity consumption in 2012. Our people continually work to better manage office energy consumption and business travel and to implement creative solutions to reduce our impact on the environment.
Our most recent CDP Supply Chain Response was publicly recognized by the CDP for receiving a top Disclosure Score.
Below is a summary of KPMG's 2010-2012 Global Carbon Results.
Greenhouse Gas Emissions for the KPMG Network
Emissions per FTE (Gross)
Performance from CY 2010-CY 2012
GHG Emissions (Tonnes CO2e)
Source: KPMG International Global Green Initiative research
Currently, 40 KPMG member firms participate in the Global Green Initiative, which represents 86 percent of our global network's FTE headcount. We applied proxy data to estimate emissions for the remaining 14 percent to estimate combined emissions across all KPMG member firms. View more information on our methodology.
As a global service based organization, managing our environmental impacts begins with focusing on the key sources of our emissions and the greatest opportunities for reduction. In our office spaces, we continually strive to be more efficient in our consumption of electricity by occupying green buildings and investing in alternative energy sources such as solar panels. We also achieve further reductions through our investments in green office equipment and IT technology. We also seek to reduce emissions related to travel by utilizing video conferencing capabilities for internal meetings in place of air travel. And we provide incentives for employees to use public transit and energy efficient vehicles.
As our environmental management efforts are not limited to reducing carbon emissions, we seek additional opportunities to promote environmental sustainability. We strive to reduce our paper and water consumption by implementing solutions such as pull-printing technology, promoting periods without printing and share case studies on effective water management. We also partner with our IT suppliers to manage our e-waste and have instituted rigorous recycling programs in offices across the globe.
KPMG's environmentally sensitive offices
||Officially opened by the Queen in November 2010, the new green office in KPMG in the UK's London office is targeting a 50 percent cut in carbon dioxide emissions and has installed grey water systems, grass roof cools the building, and we use light controls in daylight hours.|
||KPMG in the US's Nashville office became the first firm office to be LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified by the US Green Building Council (USGBC). Offices in Boston and Houston received Gold-level LEED certification and all new office spaces in the US now obtain some level of certification with LEED, an internationally recognized green building certification system.|
||Bay Adelaide Centre is Toronto's first structure to receive the LEED Gold Standard. Built using local and recycled construction materials, it optimizes energy, water and light and the KPMG floors have been built to LEED-Commercial Interiors (LEED-CI) Gold Certification, providing an environmentally friendly interior workspace.|
||KPMG in South Africa has applied for Greenstar Ratings for its Wanooka Place and Polokwane buildings. The Wanooka building implemented a heat exchange system, re-used materials salvaged from the demolition, and incorporated local sandstone in the facade.|