In addition, we believe:
- Audit methodologies must focus on fundamentals and guide good audit judgments.
- Technology can provide for effective information gathering, allow for critical data comparisons, and enhance contextual analysis.
- Compliance tools help the auditor meet professional and regulatory requirements.
- Cultural values should encourage sound judgment and objectivity.
The approach of the ELLP firms to audit services addresses each of these areas.
A multidisciplinary approach means audit engagement teams have access to professionals in such areas as forensics, tax, information risk management and valuation, providing them with a broad understanding of an organization, and enabling teams to focus on key areas of risk, adequacy of internal controls, and potential fraud.
Using KPMG's global training platform, the professionals within each of the ELLP firms have access to industry training, technical skill building, and instruction in KPMG's audit methodology.
Recognizing the importance of audit committees, KPMG in Germany established in 2003 the Audit Committee Institute (ACI) to help provide a resource to audit committee members to help them keep pace with evolving business issues related to governance, audit issues, accounting, and financial reporting.
All of the ELLP firms understand the increased regulatory pressures that companies are facing. In 2004, KPMG in the UK launched the 404 Institute to provide a forum where organizations could learn more about the requirements of section 404 of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act, share leading practices, and discuss ways to address the evolution of effective internal controls.
The objective of the ELLP firms is to assist clients in providing credibility and transparency in financial reporting. Each ELLP firm is committed to delivering quality, independent audit reports.
The KPMG Audit Methodology (KAM) is an effective audit methodology that facilitates audit quality. It meets the goal of delivering quality, independent, rigorous audits. Our audit methodology:
- Meets applicable national and international standards.
- Emphasizes the importance of substantive procedures and effective risk assessment and control testing activities.
- Utilizes a multidisciplinary approach with industry-experienced teams with the knowledge, skills, and experience to perform the engagement.
- Provides a basis for a consistent audit approach everywhere KPMG member firms do business and reinforces global continuity and coordination in different locations around the globe.
ELLP firms utilise technology infrastructures populated with systems and tools that are robust, enabling, and easy to use.
We believe organizational culture has a significant impact on audit quality. Central to our culture are our values and our code of conduct, which are fundamental to how business is done. The ELLP firms understand and value their role in the capital markets and will continually seek to enhance the perception of our profession by supporting our people, strengthening quality, and affirming the importance of trust and integrity.
For more information on country-specific services, visit the websites of the ELLP firms.
* Excluding the Belgian audit practice