Australia remains favoured destination for Chinese investment, but faces growing competition. While Australia’s accumulated Chinese direct investment is still ahead of its main international competitors, there is no denying that the rest of the world is hot on our heels and aggressively competing for Chinese capital.
- Australia narrowly maintained its ranking as the most significant recipient of Chinese outbound direct investment since 2006 — but is losing ground.
- Chinese direct investment into Australia rose by 21 percent year-on-year in 2012.
- Chinese investment is starting to diversify away from mining, into energy and other sectors.
- Investment across Australian states is more concentrated than previously seen.
- Investment by private Chinese companies (versus State Owned Enterprises) is on the rise.