The BRICS Action Plan 2012–2016, has the following five priority areas:
- Creation of a basic agricultural information exchange system in BRICS countries
- Development of a general strategy for ensuring access to food for the most vulnerable section(s) of the population
- Undertaking of measures to reduce the negative impact of climate change on food security
- Adaptation of agriculture to climate change
- Enhancement of agricultural technology co-operation and innovation, as well as promotion of trade and investment in agriculture.
Though these areas have clear merit in the medium- to long-term, do they address significant short-term challenges? John McIntosh, Executive Director: Advisory, KPMG in South Africa and Lullu Krugel, Senior Economist, KPMG in South Africa, shared their views during the recently held BRICS Summit 2013. Read More.