Portfolio, Program, and Project Management (3PM) is comprised of three separate but interlinked management disciplines:
- Portfolio Management
- Program Management
- Project Management
When used together, 3PM aligns resources and activities to meet organizational objectives and strategies while helping to maximize portfolio potential and reduce risk. Additionally, our 3PM methodology scales to support Enterprise Project Management Office (PMO) or EPMO initiatives, where we implement a centralized C-Level PMO to oversee multiple in-house PMOs and provide objective reporting on organizational program performance.
3PM teams can assist clients in any phase of a program or project’s life cycle, so that they can run optimally, on time, on budget, and with intended goals met. Our detailed guidance is organized within method guides, guidance area documents, technique papers, and well-established tools—all integrated with other KPMG methods so that they can be leveraged to support a wide range of projects.
An advantage of 3PM-enabled initiatives and organizations include accelerated access to better data coming from governed projects and programs. Further, timely access to better data means issues and risks can be identified and mitigated earlier in the process, thereby increasing the likelihood of successful delivery.
3PM-enabled programs and projects also realize business value sooner, as great focus is placed on meeting business requirements and leveraging technology. Other potential benefits of 3PM include:
- Increased value creation and the likelihood of success with guidance that helps establish consistency, transparency and control
- Establishment of a comprehensive skill set to enable practitioner training and education based on standardized, scalable and accessible guidance
- Improved program and project delivery to help ensure leadership goals and objectives are met, while reducing risk to the enterprise
- Decreased cost and time overruns
- Provision of a structured capital planning process
Some (or all) of the services described herein may not be permissible for KPMG audit clients and their affiliates.