Our client, a Fast-Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG) manufacturer, wanted to ensure that their public sustainability performance data was seen as credible. The scope of our engagement was to:
- Provide external assurance over the environmental key performance indicators
- Ensure Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) principles were followed
We also provided an internal review over the client’s sustainable procurement/agriculture and community investment programmes.
During our site visits, we helped raise the awareness of sustainability and identified several ways of improving resource efficiency and bringing costs down. For the assurance readiness review, we adopted a top-down approach focusing on strategy and governance frameworks, as well as the business case for initiatives.
Benefits to the client included:
- An assessment of the management oversight
- Greater awareness of sustainability issues
- Improved data gathering systems and processes
- Seeing assurance as something to create internal improvement rather than a burdensome activity
- Identifying a number of opportunities for cost reduction and resource efficiency improvements
- Strengthening their corporate governance framework
- Aligning community initiatives with their strategic and business objectives