The banking sector is under more scrutiny than ever. The way risks are managed has never been more important, and a torrent of new regulation means yet more complexity. Banks that respond quickly and decisively will have the advantage.
We advise banks and building societies to plan for - and stay on top of - their key risks to add real commercial benefit and counter major problems and threats.
What's on your Mind?
- Ensuring operational and risk models meet emerging regulatory requirements (e.g. FSA directives, forthcoming Independent Banking Commission, Basel III reviews and others).
- How to transform the governance, risk and compliance operating model from Board level downwards.
- Operating efficiently and effectively in a capital and liquidity constrained environment.
- Addressing fraud, bribery and corruption, market abuse, data security and other financial crime risks, perhaps due to regulatory intervention or an alleged/discovered event.
- Impending legal action.
Bringing you Peace of Mind
We can assist in a wide range of areas, including:
- Financial Crime
Regulatory Investigations and Skilled Persons Reports
Anti-Money Laundering and Market Abuse
Fraud, Bribery, Corruption and Misconduct
Financial Crime Technology
Integrity Due Diligence
Enhanced Know Your Client
- Financial Risk Management
Financial Engineering and Modelling
Basel 3 Advisory and Implementation
Recovery and Resolution Planning (Living Wills)
Enterprise Risk Management
Capital Adequacy and Credit Portfolio Management
Stress Testing and Scenario Planning
Information Protection and Business Resilience
Data Analytics and Governance
Dispute Advisory Services
Quantification of Loss and Liability
Business and Share Valuations
International Arbitration and Litigation
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Regulatory Expert Witness Services
What's in it for you?
- Integrate and refine governance, compliance, financial crime prevention and risk capabilities to run more efficiently and effectively for the business, with a 'single view of risk' at Board level.
- Enhance reputation with regulators, Government, investors and the wider marketplace, with consequent commercial benefits.
- Potentially significant lowering of regulatory capital levels required, and more economic capital available, deployed to achieve full value.
- Avoid, or reduce the impact of, regulatory intervention and consequent financial or reputational damage.
- Legal action that arises resolved with a favourable outcome and financial ruling.
- We integrate our financial and regulatory risk specialists with actuaries, forensic, technology and industry specialists to cover a very wide range of different risk types (e.g. credit, operational, fraud, market, group, regulatory, IT), which is unusual amongst professional advisor firms.
- We advise many of the largest financial sector firms, which has included secondments within client risk, compliance and regulatory teams, and to regulators themselves.
- We have been involved as investigators and expert witnesses in some of the largest cases brought to date.
- Our credit portfolio management team is one of the leading among the Big 4 and other major professional advisers, having come from the industry and with an impressive track record
A large bank faced considerable challenge from the UK FSA in relation to its effectiveness around risk governance, associated control functions and supporting processes.
We assembled a highly skilled team of governance, risk and regulatory transformation specialists to review the current risk and governance model, benchmark against peer and good practice models, design a future framework aligned with the needs of the business, corporate strategy and regulatory expectations with the following outcomes:
- The recommended Target Operating Model (TOM) was positively viewed by the FSA.
- KPMG assisted with a detailed implementation of the TOM with FSA concurrence.
- The client avoided the possibility of a mandatory independent regulatory review.
- The client’s revised risk governance arrangements have performed well during the recent market turbulence.
UK Head of Banking
KPMG LLP (UK)
020 7694 5575
Global transactions and regulatory scrutiny are compelling companies to examine their business relationships in order to assess risk and comply with regulatory mandates.
Leading Practice for Operational Risk Scenarios
This report explores the progress made at some of the world’s leading banks in applying scenario analysis to Operational Risk.