How do I exit my business?
The exit from a private company can be the culmination of a lifetime's work. This is often a once-in- a-lifetime transition, with just one opportunity to get it right. KPMG can help you succeed in this process whether the final outcome is:
How KPMG can help
The process of exiting your business can be both stressful and time consuming. You need to ensure that the exit process does not diminish the value proposition of the asset you have worked so hard to build.
We are able to provide a wide range of services to assist you that can result in maximising a sale to a third party, existing management or successfully passing the business to the next generation.
The processes we use to achieve this include the following:
- Identifying and prioritising potential buyers and determining the method of approach.
- Initiating confidential contact with prospective buyers to ascertain interest.
- Valuation of the business for sale.
- Pricing analysis to help define expectations.
- Analysis of the application of shareholder agreement conditions to the exit process.
- Financial modelling to review the proposed transaction and the potential return.
- Drafting documents required, including the offer, letter of intent, joint venture or strategic alliance proposal and/or prepare the selling materials and the confidentiality agreement.
- Contacting prospective purchasers, disseminating information, and coordinating the receipt and review of offers.
- Leading negotiations or providing negotiating assistance and support, including transaction structuring (with input from other KPMG resources including tax professionals).
- Coordinating due diligence activities of clients, KPMG, legal advisers, and other professionals.
- Supervising the transaction through to closing.
Preparing to exit your business is best achieved via a stepped process. This will ensure that all parties are well informed and satisfied with both the path to and the ultimate achievement of your exit.
You need to be sure that your business partner through this process is experienced, knowledgeable and understands your requirements. KPMG is able to fulfil all of these criteria and we would love to discuss our approach with you. Please contact us to request an interview or ask a question.