Gary has been a practicing Professional Engineer for more than 30 years and has specialized in the organization, procurement and implementation of large scale infrastructure projects and, in doing so, he has worked for both the Public and Private sector participants. Gary has led the business case assessment, procurement and contract implementation stages for a number of Public Infrastructure Programs that have included all forms of contracting from conventional delivery through to some of the largest PPP transactions in Canada.
His experience includes setting up program optimization systems, managing through the regulatory processes, risk assessment, obtaining government approvals, business case development, producing contract and procurement documentation, managing the selection process, engineering design, construction supervision, asset management, revenue collection systems and maintenance management. This experience has been gained across a variety of infrastructure sectors, including institutional, health, marine, transit, highway and bridges and water and wastewater.
Gary has led the setup and contract management of three generations of British Columbian’s Transportation PPP performance controls including training consultants, owners, staff and contractor in their use. Gary has also led the setting up of the first performance contracts in the Hydro Electricity industry in British Columbia and provided expert advice in social infrastructure, water treatment and health care sectors.
Professional and Industry Experience
• BC Hydro (Site C – Clean Energy Project). As the Senior Commercial Advisor for this 1100 MW - $7 billion project this role includes advising on the governance model for the project, participating in the approval processes for the project, advising on procurement strategy, assessing project risks, and liaising with the project’s technical advisors.
• BC Hydro (John Hart Generating Station Rehabilitation). Gary is currently acting as the strategic procurement advisor to BC Hydro on this $1 billion project. Gary’s role includes development of performance specifications for the project, advising on the procurement process, assessing project risks, advising on value-for-money analysis based on a life-cycle cost analysis and managing the project through the approval processes.
• Columbia Power Corporation (Waneta 320 MW Hydro Electric Expansion Project). Gary had overall responsibility for providing procurement and contract negotiations advice for the $600M Waneta Hydro Electric Expansion project. The work included advising on current contracting practices, helping to optimize the contract structure, leading the development of the first performance specifications and leading contract close negotiations for Columbia Power Corporation
• NaiKun Wind Energy Group (Haida Wind Energy Field). Gary is currently acting as Senior Commercial Advisor for the structuring and delivery of this $1.8 billion 420MW offshore wind farm project.
• BC Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (Gateway Program). As the Program Procurement and Contract Management Director ($4.5 billion), Gary guided the identification, approval, risk review, development and implementation of the procurement process, creation of the performance contracts and contract negotiations for the numerous projects and contract management that make up the multi-billion dollar Gateway Program on behalf of the Province of British Columbia. The Program included the development and delivery of all kinds of procurement models including EPC and PPPs.
• BC Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure (Sea-to-Sky Highway). Gary acted as project manager for the DBFO procurement and Contract Management for the Sea-to-Sky Highway Improvement project. Gary managed the business case and procurement activities for the P3 highway concession, which formed the basis of many of Partnerships BC best practices. Gary also oversaw all of the specialist advisers, including commercial, financial, engineering and operations. Gary helped lead the contract close negotiations for this award-winning, high-profile, complex P3 project, and remains the province’s representative responsible for contract management.
• Panama Ship Canal Company – Specialist Adviser – 2008 to 2009. Gary provided specialist, procurement and contracting advice for this multi-billion dollar project including advice on governance structuring, risk management processes and transparent procurement practices. This project involves the expansion of the Panama ship canal through Panama to accommodate the larger vessels, particularly the newer generation of container ships that cannot currently use the canal and have to take the much longer route around South America.