Internationally recognized human rights as set out in the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights can be summarized as the basic rights that form the foundation for freedom, justice and peace, which apply equally and universally in all countries.
On 16 June 2011 the United Nations Human Rights Council endorsed the “Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights: Implementing the United Nations ‘Protect, Respect and Remedy Framework’” (the Guiding Principles). The 30 principles include fifteen that relate to business rather than to governments.
In following the Guiding Principles, KPMG International and KPMG member firms:
- (I) undertake to avoid causing or contributing to adverse human rights impacts through their own activities, and address such impacts when they occur and
- (ii) seek to prevent or mitigate adverse human rights impacts that are directly related to their operations, products or services through their business relationships.
In concert with our objective to be a leader in the global economy, the KPMG network aims to act as a role model for the business community. One aspect of this is ethical conduct – which includes aspiring to the 10 principles of the UN Global Compact, including human rights, as expressed through the Global Code of Conduct. The Global Code of Conduct includes our commitments to:
- follow high standards of ethical conduct around the world
- work with clients, suppliers, and subcontractors that live up to KPMG’s core ethical standards
- act lawfully, ethically, and in the public interest
- champion an inclusive and collaborative culture that is free from bullying, discrimination, and harassment, where everyone is treated with respect and dignity.
In addition, the policies and procedures that KPMG International requires its member firms to implement are consistent with the UN Declaration of Human Rights, the Guiding Principles, the International Labour Organization Core Conventions and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development’s (OECD) Guidelines for International Enterprises.