Automotive companies are adapting to environmental challenges, digitalization, changing customer behavior, growing urbanization and globalization. With pure electric vehicles yet to fulfill their potential, ICE downsizing assumes a higher priority, while plug-in hybrids are expected to be the most popular e-mobile and set to lead the e-vehicle race. In densely populated cities, mobility solutions are becoming more common, which could impact car ownership patterns and herald the era of the self-driving car.
- 46 percent say their biggest powertrain investment up to 2019 will be in ICE optimization.
- 35 percent predict plug-in hybrids to attract the greatest demand of any e-vehicle by 2019, with TRIADs being the most optimistic.
- 46 percent believe under-25-year-olds do wish to own a car; 54 percent say the same is true for over-50s.
- 23 percent of BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India and China) respondents say driverless cars are a key industry trend.
- 71 percent expect online dealerships to be important and 63 percent view multi-brand dealerships as a successful model.
- 44 percent are confident that China will export 2 million vehicles by 2016; 37 percent predict India to export 1 million by 2016.