Our program includes efforts to minimize our operational impacts (e.g. purchasing, office space, resource use and travel), engage our people to be aware of and involved in environmental issues, and work with sustainability focused non-profit organizations.
Our commitment to the environment and reducing our footprint is laid out in our Environmental Guidelines [PDF 282Kb]. The guidelines provide a clear vision for sustainability at KPMG so that we can help our people feel empowered to make a difference.
- KPMG has been named one of Canada's Greenest Employers eight years in a row.
- KPMG International was named Sustainable Firm of the Year for a fourth consecutive year by the International Accounting Bulletin Awards
- In 2014, KPMG International received the prestigious Golden Peacock Award for Global Sustainability.
- Global Green House Gas (GHG) Reductions
Global KPMG member firms achieved a 29 percent reduction in net emissions per full-time equivalent employee between 2007 and 2010. Building on this momentum, KPMG set a new emissions target in 2011 calling for a further 15 percent reduction in net emissions (against a 2010 baseline) per full-time equivalent by the end of 2015. Learn more about the Global Green Initiative.
- IT Asset Disposal Program
KPMG has national guidelines for the safe, sustainable and local disposal of our old IT equipment. These guidelines streamline the process for the resale or recycling of old equipment with local providers who adhere to the highest environmental standards. This process enables us to minimize the amount of electronic waste sent to landfills and maximize the benefits to our local communities. Funds raised through resale of the assets are donated to our national charitable partners.
- Donated Office Supplies
When undergoing a major renovation or moving offices, third party service providers distribute usable furniture to deserving local charities and recycle the remainder. During major office moves or renovations, we have been able to divert up to 99% of our used office assets from landfill.
- Green Office Space
KPMG strives to provide a work environment conducive to high productivity, effective collaboration and environmental efficiency. KPMG has built or renovated 11 buildings across the country to the LEED Gold standard or equivalent. In total, 36% of our office space has been built to LEED Gold standards and, by 2016, it is expected that 46% of our building space will meet these criteria.
- Paper Reduction
KPMG has reduced paper usage by 46% since 2008.
KPMG is working with its suppliers to incorporate sustainable purchasing best practices.
- We are working with the provider of our KPMG branded items to incorporate sustainable purchasing criteria, provide special sustainable branding to identify key items, and to increase the percentage of offerings that meet those sustainable standards.
- All our photocopy paper is EcoLogo certified, processed Chlorine Free (PCF), Forest Stewardship Council (FSC®) certified, and made using biogas energy (methane from a landfill site).
Many of our offices support local sustainability organizations and initiatives, and even more KPMG people volunteer their time to support environmental causes.
For more information, please contact us at CA-FM NAT COMMUNITY LDR.