This year’s report found that 83 percent of the respondents believe that mobile payments will be mainstream within four years, compared to only nine percent who see them as mainstream today. In fact, 46 percent believe mobile payments will be mainstream within two years.
Other key findings from the report include:
- 72 percent of executives said that mobile payments are now or will be reasonable important in the future
- 58 percent of companies surveyed have a mobile payments strategy in place today
- Mobile payments will take multiple forms and m-wallets is one of the most promising opportunities
- 81 percent believe convenience/accessibility is the most important success factor
- Partnerships and alliances will be key to success – between financial services companies, operators, technology companies and operators.