Globally, the Oil and Gas sector is facing enormous, complex challenges around both development and maintenance. In Africa, the sector is undergoing major policy, system and infrastructural changes.
Dimeji Salaudeen – Head Africa Oil and Gas
Emmanuel Asiedu – Ghana
Dimeji is a volunteer entrepreneurial facilitator, and is closely associated with two leading Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) in developing, nurturing and fostering the entrepreneurial spirit in Nigeria. He has attended and instructed key technical and management training sessions within and outside Nigeria.
Professional and Industry
- Served as Engagement Partner in the financial statements review of several oil service companies. This involved reviewing the accounting system, accounting policies, processes, risk management procedures and compliance with accounting policies; cash and inventory controls.
- Engagement Partner on the review of an indigenous gas company’s risk management framework and in complementing the company’s resources for CAA governance and operations.
- Served as engagement partner on the review of the interface between the inventory management and financial reporting processes to understand how inventory quantities are captured and valued in the general ledger.
- Assisted a major gas company in Nigeria to transform its internal audit function and strengthen its internal control. He participated in various process reviews, accounting analysis, risk management framework review and amendment, development of internal audit methodology, internal audit plan, development and implementation of whistle blower policy and other related assignment.
- Engagement Partner on the board performance appraisal of an indigenous oil company, facilitated individual director peer evaluation process, and proffered recommendations for the gaps noted.
- Senior consultant and engagement manager on various assignments for Nigeria’s largest petroleum exploration and Production Company.
- Engagement manager on the design and implementation of detailed policies and procedures manual for the operation of certain accounting and commercial process warehoused in the shared services centre of a leading oil and gas exploration and production company in Nigeria. The project also involved the planning, design and delivery of training on the processes to staff members of the department.
- Engagement manager on the development of, and implementation planning for the detailed policies and procedures related to the contracting, procurement and accounts payable function of a leading oil and gas exploration and production company in Nigeria – a process through which 80% of the company’s annual spend of over $2 billion (2000) is made. The assignment was geared to deliver re-engineered, efficient process with fit-for-purpose inbuilt controls, leading directly to significant cost savings and improved customer satisfaction.
- Engagement senior on the design and implementation of a shared services centre for vendor-related activities across all the company locations in Nigeria, of a major producing oil and gas company in Nigeria. This engagement included the design of an organisation structure; development of job descriptions specifying skills and competence requirements, determination of manning levels and job gradings, the design of procedures and development of supporting technology, and implementation support during roll-out of the new organisation, processes and systems. The team for this engagement comprised both KPMG and the client staff. The project also involved the design and delivery of training to counterpart staff
Benson Ndungu – East Africa
Professional and Industry
- Serves as the engagement partner for the provision of individual tax compliance and advisory services to Tullow Ghana Limited with respect to its expatriate employees.
- Served as the engagement partner for the provision of tax audit assistance to Kosmos Energy Ghana Limited during a tax audit conducted by the Ghana Revenue Authority on the operations of the Company.
- He was the engagement partner for provision of regulatory advisory services leading to the setup of Seadrill Ghana Operations in Ghana. He continues to serve as the engagement partner for the provision of on-going corporate and individual tax compliance and advisory services for the Company.
- Serves as the engagement partner for the provision of tax compliance and advisory services (both corporate and individual) to Chevron Gas West Africa Limited since its registration in Ghana.
- He has served as the engagement partner in providing Modec Ghana Limited with corporate and individual tax compliance and advisory services from 2010 to 2012.
- Other oil and gas companies that Emmanuel has led the team as engagement partner in the provision of tax and other regulatory services include Vivo Energy Ghana Limited (formerly Shell Ghana Limited), Total Petroleum Ghana Limited, PetroSA (the company which has taken over Sabre Oil Limited), Tema Lube Oil Company Limited, Eni Oil Holdings and Hess Exploration Limited.
Christo Roux – South Africa
Professional and Industry
Benson has more than 18 years of experience in providing tax and audit services to various multinationals across diverse industries within Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda and Burundi. He has an excellent understanding of the dynamics affecting the energy and natural resources value chain with extensive experience of providing audit, tax and advisory services to major players in this industry.
Benson has a very strong understanding of economic, social and regulatory matters in the East Africa region and has been involved in analyzing technical issues relating to business and tax regulatory requirements for a number of clients in East Africa. His experience in Uganda and the region will be invaluable on this assignment.
Benson is the current tax and audit engagement partner for the clients audited by KPMG Uganda. He has led teams offering tax compliance and advisory services to a number of organizations in Uganda and the East African region. He also has a wealth of experience in advising clients on process re-engineering and strategy formulation. He has led several teams on tax due diligence assignments for companies planning to acquire shares in entities in Uganda, those planning to list on the stock exchange and those planning for mergers and other restructuring.
Benson has also provided tax compliance and advisory services to companies like Eskom, Umeme, Wartsila, Uganda Electricity Generation Company, O&M, Tullow Operations (Pty) Ltd, Tullow Uganda Limited, Turner and Townsend, Halliburton, Weatherford, Libya Oil, Uganda Telecom, ABB Ltd, Alcatel, and others.
Benson will be the Partner in charge of ensuring timely and quality delivery of the deliverable on this project.
Miguel Alvim – Mozambique
Professional and Industry
- Global Oil & Gas major: Entity wide transformation project, assessment of current performance across the fuel value chain, identifying improvement opportunities, analyse the impact on the client’s cost base when implementing identified best practices, interpret the results and present a business case for change to the client’s leadership team
- Global Oil & Gas major : Measurement of Hydrocarbon trading performance, development of methodologies by understanding all supply chain cost build up for trading activity (utilising Durban Supply corridor), development of trader KPI’
- Downstream Oil & Gas: Finance transformation project, assess current state of finance, redesign and implement all in-scope (P2P, O2C, R2R, Inventory and Assets) finance process by implementation of a finance shared services solution, supporting the client’s African business across 11 African countries and various business units
- Global Oil & Gas major: Inventory assessment project, obtaining an understanding of the total flow of inventory (follow the molecule) throughout the Fuel Value Chain (FVC), assessing and improving end to end supply chain.
- National Oil Company: Governance guide: Designing a governance process guide to ensure standardization across all operations.
- Global Oil & Gas major: Redesign of depot/terminal processes and collating the processes into a guide on how to operate a depot/terminals
Majnoni d’Intignano, Alexis (Gabon) – Francophone Africa
Miguel is a finance and financial management specialist and has almost 15 years of experience. His experience covers the following main areas: accounting, business processes improvement, finance and implementation of financial management systems and procedures, internal controls systems and reviews, cost control, budgeting and forecasting, management information systems, internal auditing, external audit (including management letters and follow up on recommendations), preparation of financial and management reports and fund management.
Most of Miguel’s assignments have involved: situational assessments, needs assessment, recommending strategies for improvement, monitoring and evaluation, and budgeting / planning.
Representative Industry Experience
National petroleum company (Petromoc): Miguel had been involved in facilitating risk management workshops with Petromoc for the last 3 years. The main purpose of these workshops are to assist Petromoc Executive and Senior Management in assessing and prioritizing the strategic risks that need to be managed in order to achieve the measurable objectives of Petromoc.
National petroleum company (Petromoc): During the last years, Miguel has been involved in delivering several services to Petromoc incluiding Internal Audit, IT strategy and a SAP post implementation review.
Ministry of Energy (ME): Miguel was the partner responsible for a multiyear capacity building engagement with the ME. The objective of the project was to improve the Ministry’s operation to ensure that it was well positioned to act as a strategic beacon for the energy sector in Mozambique.
Mozambique National Company of Electricity (EDM) and Swedish Embassy: further develop EdM’s business areas and work processes to ensure that past improvements in EdM’s operations are maintained and also to improve EdM’s technical and managerial skills.
Ministry of Energy (ME): Natural Gas and Condensate study for Mozambique’s Domestic Market. The objective of the assignment was to assist the Government to define the appropriate legal, regulatory and policy framework to optimize local natural gas and condensate resources utilization in Mozambique based on market research.
Mozambique National Company of Electricity (EDM) and DANIDA: Miguel was the Project Director of the third phase of the EDM Separation of Accounts Project. This included providing advise on and implementation of restructuring suggestions for EDM’s accounting and costing structure. This was done to enable EDM to meet the requirements of the energy sector reform with regard to business and sector transparency.
National Directorate of Energy (DNE): Miguel was involved in the design and implementation of an integrated financial management system within the World Bank Project Implementation Unit of the Energy Reform and Access Program (ERAP). The goal of the system was to ensure better reporting as well as ensuring more efficient management of funds.
Vale- Several assignments including Business Process Services, Internal Audit and HR development
Rio Tinto - Miguel is the Partner responsible for the 5 year Internal Audit contract with Rio Tinto
He has In-depth technical knowledge with a well established track record in the ability to resolve complex accounting and auditing issues.
With the transition to IFRS effective 1 January 2012 for Public Interest Entities and 1 January 2013 for other Public Interest Entities, Chibuzor has been actively involved in providing IFRS conversion and audit services to a diverse portfolio of clients in either the capacity of engagement partner or engagement quality control reviewer.
Chibuzor has served as engagement partner on several audit engagements for local and multinational clients including listed companies and those operating in the Energy and Natural Resources industry. Chibuzor has extensive knowledge of the Nigerian industry and experience in serving local (private, public and government) and multi-national clients and helping them meet tight deadlines.
As an audit partner, Chibuzor has responsibility for quality control of audit and related services engagements in his group and has also served as an audit quality control reviewer in Sierra Leone, Ghana and Kuwait.
KPMG’s Oil and Gas in Africa Sector Report 2014 explores and highlights the present state of oil and gas in Africa. In light of recent developments, it proposes possible future trends in the sector.