Globally, the healthcare sector is facing enormous, complex challenges around both development and maintenance. In Africa, the sector is undergoing major policy, system and infrastructural changes.
||“Having worked as a doctor in the public health sector, and having experienced being on the other side as a patient and as the family of a patient, I am inspired by the courage and the commitment of healthcare workers in our country. I am motivated by the deprivation and the need that I have witnessed, both in the system and amongst its patients, to make a positive change. I am always seeking mechanisms to support the strengthening of our healthcare sector and ease the pain of its past inequities.” Learn more about Anuschka’s experience and expertise. |
Anuschka comes from a clinical background and has extensive experience in the healthcare industry, varying from market research to sales experience, health economic analysis, clinical trial operations, actuarial reporting, health risk management, data modelling and product development.
As a health economic consultant, she has worked with many governments across Africa, and private organisations, such as the Rockefeller Foundation, the HSRC and Sovereign Health, on projects that involve protocol design, data collection and analysis, budget management and presentation of results, in local and international forums.
At Novartis, she initially worked in a scientific marketing/sales position but later moved into clinical trials operations, travelling through-out Africa, establishing clinical operations, developing a network with key state officials and managing a team of medical advisors.
She also worked at Momentum Health as a Health Product Development Specialist, in the Health Actuarial Department, then headed up the managed care division in the Metropolitan’s Durban office, and later worked as the head of Strategic Projects and then as the Head of the GEMS Clinical Advisory Services.
At KPMG, Anuschka is a health actuarial specialist.
• MBChB - Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (University of Natal)
• MSE - Masters of Economics (University of Natal)
• Actuarial Science - Institute of Actuaries
Head of Healthcare Markets
Tel: +27 82 719 2813
||“Good health is central to human quality of life. As a pharmacist, I have experienced first-hand what positive impact good quality healthcare services and life sciences products can have on a patient’s health and quality of life. I am passionate to work with key stakeholders to ensure that patients gain access to good quality healthcare, products and services.” Learn more more about Joubert’s experience and expertise. |
Joubert Krugel is head of KPMG’s Life Sciences practice in Africa. He is a licensed pharmacist with over 17 years’ extensive leadership and business experience in the healthcare, life sciences (incl. pharmaceutical, medical device, diagnostic, etc.), clinical, funder and managed healthcare sectors, at local and international levels, for market-leading life sciences companies and major healthcare providers in Africa.
He has secured business in the private and public sectors, dealing with patients, healthcare professionals, life sciences companies, hospitals groups, medical schemes, administrators, managed healthcare customers, government, professional societies and industry bodies at different strategic levels. He has an in-depth knowledge of the African healthcare and life sciences environment, established relationships with key stakeholders and a strong track record in industry negotiations.
Joubert has 12 years’ international experience in market access and 7 years executive level experience. He has a strong business track record in achieving business results, a strong leadership track record in building/leading teams and developing people, leading cross-functional (local and international) business teams and working groups, a strong track record in strategic thinking and delivering organisational effectiveness.
He has extensive experience in the following areas:
• Specialist knowledge in healthcare & life sciences (incl. pharmaceutical and medical devices) industries
• Business and commercial strategy
• Business development and sales strategy
• Market entry/access, health economic and reimbursement strategy
• Key account/customer relationship strategy – introduction to key players in the SA market
• Negotiation strategy – tenders, contracts, Health Technology Assessments (HTA), reimbursement and pricing
• Scenario and strategic planning
• Market scope, analysis and proposals for growth
• Risk management and forecast the impact to performance
• Value proposals – company, product and service value proposal development to secure customer support and access
Head of Life Sciences – Africa
Tel: +27 82 572 8064
||Though most policy and decision makers agree on the centrality of health to achieving individual goals and national/global economic growth, strengthening health systems have not received commensurate attention in a lot of developing countries. Having experienced the challenges and seen the opportunities, first as a clinician and later as a health systems specialist in resource constrained settings, I am convinced that with the right political will, most developing countries can adequately reform their health systems to address citizens’ priority health issues. My work provides me the opportunity to pursue my passion of providing technical assistance for reforming health care systems, and developing equitable and sustainable financing mechanisms to support such systems. Learn more about Nkata’s experience and expertise. |
Nkata is a Senior Manager and Healthcare Lead for West Africa. His expertise includes policy analysis and development, health systems financing, monitoring and evaluation, designing and implementing large scale public health programmes. Nkata has led development of monitoring frameworks for health institutions, provision of startup advisory services for health organisations, recruitment for hospitals and organisation of international health summits and conferences.
Prior to joining KPMG, Nkata had worked as the Director for Health Systems Strengthening for FHI 360 on the US Government funded $415 million GHAIN project (PEPFAR’s flagship comprehensive HIV/AIDS project). Working for FHI 360, he set up their Health Systems Strengthening Department and also led the implementation of Global Fund HIV/AIDS and Health Systems Strengthening Grants. He has also worked as a Health Economics Consultant for UNAIDS, WHO and the Nigerian Federal Ministry of Health; Monitoring and Evaluation Consultant for UNICEF and DFID; and Pharmaceutical Products Market Shaping Consultant for Broad Reach Health Care.
Nkata has over the years, provided technical advisory services to Ministers for Health, the Federal Ministry of Health and State Ministries of Health in Nigeria. During that time, he played several key roles including Technical lead for the Presidential Summit on Universal Health Coverage in Nigeria (2014); Technical facilitator for the engagement with the Nigerian senate on the proposed amendments to the Nigerian Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) act; Member of the technical team that developed the National Strategic Health Development Plan 2010 – 2015; Member of the Ministerial Committee that developed a 5 year sustainability forecast and strategy for HIV, TB and Malaria commodities in 2010 and Member of the Ministerial Committee on Health Financing in 2006 that developed the National Health Financing Policy.
• M.B.B.S., College of Medicine, University of Lagos, Nigeria
• MSc Health Policy, Planning & Financing, London School of Economics & London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, U.K
• Diploma Health Policy and Financing, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London U.K.
• Member International Health Economists Association (iHEA)
• Member, African Health Economists Association (AfHEA)
• Member American Society of Health Economists (ASHECon)
• Member, Association of Public Health Physicians of Nigeria (APHPN)
• Member Nigerian Medical Association (NMA)
Senior Manager and Healthcare Lead for West Africa
||“My passion is centred around making a real difference to the communities I come from. I could contribute to improving the lives of those receiving healthcare services through KPMG. My passion is to contribute to the public health in business process improvement and respond to policy. My background includes operations and financial management.” Learn more about Grace’s experience and expertise.|
Grace Sexwale is an Associate Director in Management Consulting at KPMG in South Africa. She is passionate about improving healthcare services in South Africa, and across the African continent as a whole. As an expert with extensive public sector experience, Grace is a vital part of KPMG Africa’s healthcare team.
Grace has over 18 years of business experience in the public and private sectors. She is an experienced team leader with the ability to initiate/manage cross-functional teams and projects, and to deliver cost reduction and efficiencies.
Grace’s extensive Public Sector experience means that she understands the administrative, operational and governance challenges unique to this sector. She has many areas of experience in finance and accounting including a deep understanding of finance transformation, manufacturing and inventory control. She understands that standardized financial processes improve effectiveness and strengthen internal controls.
As part of her career, she has had many opportunities to analyse business processes, develop recommendations and implement proven solutions to drive measurable efficiencies. She has built her career in finance transformation, financial management and ERP (JD Edward) system and other systems (MFG Pro) implementation.
Grace’s extensive experience with both systems and processes provides clients with experience necessary to assist them in making immediate improvements and provides structure for continuous process improvements that best meet their organisation’s long-term needs.
Grace’s main focus is the improvement of performance of KPMG clients, taking into consideration:
• Efficiency and effectiveness of the organisation. i.e. process and technology
• Supply chain management
• Strategic formulation and alignment
• Project management
• Financial management ( including Budgeting, Cash Management, Cost Management and Payroll)
• MBA (University of Stellenbosch)
• Honors in Business Management (University of Stellenbosch)
• B. Comm. (University of KwaZulu Natal)
Associate Director, Management Consulting
Tel: +27 82 718 2886
||“Even at a young age, I recognised the gaps and inequalities in our healthcare system and wanted to be involved in making it better. Images of sick children dying from preventable diseases, and images of women and men, young and old without access to medical care, were constant reminders of the inequalities. I am not a doctor, but my desire for functional healthcare systems in Africa and my desire for quality, affordable healthcare for all of Africa’s citizens are still alive.”Learn more about Rita’s experience and expertise. |
Rita Owino is a manager in the healthcare practice for KPMG in East Africa. She is a certified Six Sigma Green Belt professional with over 13 years’ experience in healthcare, primarily in the managed care setting.
Rita has worked with providers (hospitals and medical groups/physicians) and payers (government, employers and health insurers) to manage total cost of healthcare related to quality improvement and cost reduction. She has managed and facilitated the implementation of initiatives and strategies that support a seamless, integrated, coordinated delivery system of care via the application of various managed healthcare principles including provider contracting, disease management, utilization management and review, case management and wellness programs.
Before joining KPMG, Rita served for eight years in various capacities with UnitedHealth Group, a leading healthcare company serving over 70 million individuals worldwide. During her tenure at UnitedHealth Group, Rita successfully negotiated and secured multimillion-dollar contracts with health systems, significantly improved operational processes by reengineering outdated healthcare claims adjudication policies, and was part of a team that successfully launched a new product to the national market (US).
Prior to UnitedHealth Group, Rita held positions at other managed health care companies in the United States, including Medica – a health management and insurance company based in Minnesota and Humana, a healthcare company that markets and administers health insurance and health and wellness programs across the United States and internationally.
Rita lives in Nairobi, Kenya and in her spare time enjoys reading, travelling, learning new languages and watching various sports.
• Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Post Baccalaureate Certification in Biotechnology
• University of Wisconsin-Green Bay, Wisconsin, Bachelor of Science in Human Biology, Cum Laude
Tel: +254 20 280 6000
||“There is a proverb that says ‘He who has Health has hope; he who has hope has everything.’ I am excited to be part of a team who is passionate about giving hope!” Learn more about Dalene’s experience and expertise. |
Dalene van Greune is the Healthcare Coordinator in KPMG Africa’s Healthcare Practice and your first point of contact for the Healthcare team.
She is the newest member of the Healthcare team but an old hand at KPMG. Dalene spent some time in the United Kingdom, where she worked in KPMG’s Infrastructure, Government and Healthcare team for three years before returning to South Africa.
• BA Degree in Communication, Business and Personnel Psychology
Dalene van Greune
Africa HealthCare Coordinator
Tel: +27 82 719 0587
||“My passion for healthcare stems from a deep sense of service and enduring personal values that include fairness, social justice, equity in access and outcome for everyone regardless of difference. I believe that a healthier population translates into a productive and effective workforce which in turn bolsters the economy for the benefit of all in the long run.” Learn more about Lizwe’s experience and expertise. |
Lizwe is a people and change consultant with a diverse range of skills and experience, having worked in various senior roles in private and public organisations to implement strategies, manage HR and lead change projects.
Lizwe’s area of expertise includes people and change management, union negotiations, mergers and acquisitions, leading HR projects, strategic reconfiguration, organisation design and development and managing diversity. Whilst working for West Sussex PCT, Lizwe led an organisational redesign and restructuring process and saved over £500000 (over R5m) in structured people costs.
Prior to moving to SA, Lizwe was employed by the London Deanery (University of London) and led a job evaluation project for medical and non-medical professionals. He was also involved in the NHS London Workforce Strategy and the Medical and Dental Education Commissioning System (MDECS) as an expert subject lead on Equality and Diversity.
When the European Working Directive (ETD) was enacted into law in the UK (Working Time Regulations), Lizwe worked as Project Manager-Junior Doctors Hours for a Trust in Brighton. He was successful in achieving 96% compliance in 2002 - 2003 Ministerial Returns (previous year compliance stood 66%). The success was achieved by using an analysis, design, and delivery, implement and monitor or evaluate cycle. Essentially it was project managing from a concept stage to a business case design, including change and HR management.
Lizwe also has a financial background, having worked as a financial accountant for a few years. His experience as a clinical professional in the National Health Service and BUPA, has provided Lizwe with an understanding and appreciation for healthcare and healthcare provision, both in the private and public sectors, knowledge and skills which are transferable.
Away from work, Lizwe spends time with family and friends and is a committed rugby fan!
• Postgraduate Certificate in People Management and Development (2008), Brighton Business School, Brighton, UK
• Masters in Business Administration (2001), Aberdeen Business School, Scotland, UK
• Part-Qualified Accountant - ACCA
• BA (Honours) Accounting & Finance (1997), University of Brighton, Brighton, UK
• Health Studies (1994), Sussex & Kent Institute, University of Sussex, Brighton, UK
Lizwe L Siso
People and Change Consultant, Healthcare, South Africa and Africa
||“People use health services at the times they are most vulnerable. With first- hand experience as a patient, health professional, manager and management consultant, I am concerned with making health services work.” Learn more about Kathy’s experience and expertise. |
Kathy is a Principal Consultant with expertise in public and health sector strategy, planning, transformation and project management.
Kathy has 15 years experience working in the public sector as a manager for provincial government and then as a management consultant. She has project-managed a wide range of international, national, provincial and local government public sector and health projects.
Before joining KPMG, Kathy worked as a consultant with Palmer Development Group (PDG) where she managed a range of large projects, including an evaluation of a national health programme in Uganda for the World Bank, an evaluation of the Special Poverty Relief Allocation for National Treasury, studies of Public-Private Partnerships in local government and health strategies for a range of municipalities.
While with EOH Consulting, Kathy was the project manager for an OD audit of a hospital complex for Free State Department of Health, customer satisfaction survey of hospitals and clinics in the Eastern Cape, institutional capacity assessment of health services for Amathole District Municipality, and also carried out an evaluation of training needs for nurses in Eastern Cape hospitals.
Kathy also worked at the Gauteng Department of Health where she was responsible for district service planning. She played a key role in developing human resource capacity in districts to develop district health plans. This involved developing guidelines, definitions and norms for development of Community Health Centres, clinics and community services. Based on national guidelines she managed the development of the package of Primary Healthcare services for Gauteng. She designed and managed the implementation of community-based rehabilitation across Gauteng.
Since joining KPMG, Kathy has project-managed an evaluation of the performance of Funds established by the Swazi government to facilitate referral of patients to South Africa, the review of an evaluation framework for Dutch private equity firm Investment Fund for Health in Africa (IFHA), for UNICEF an evaluation of the National School Nutrition Programme, development of a private hospital business plans, assessment of capacity of a municipality to deliver municipal health services, a performance review of police stations and has provided oversight of the Evaluation of the School Food Security Programme in Northern Cape.
• Masters in Business Administration, Gordon Institute of Business Science (GIBS), South Africa
• Bachelor of Science, New York University, United States
• Bachelor of Arts, University of Witwatersrand, South Africa
Principal Consultant, Healthcare, South Africa and Africa
Tel: +27 82 430 2506
||“For the vast majority of people that are unable to pay for health provision, new models of care need to be designed, as governments begin to acknowledge the importance of prevention over curative action. Governments are experimenting with different forms of universal health provision and the reforms that they undertake over the next decade will be crucial to cutting mortality rates and improving health outcomes – KPMG has a crucial role to play in this process.” Learn more about Dominic’s experience and expertise. |
Dominic is a Manager: Global Infrastructure, Africa, and specialises in providing strategic, financial and commercial advice to public and private sector clients on infrastructure-related transactions across Africa.
Dominic has extensive experience in construction contracts together with applicable tax and corporate experience including full financial statement audits and internal control evaluation.
Recent advisory project experience:
• Strategic energy and environmental risk assessment for a large South African mining company including the assessment of total resource availability, security of supply, pricing and technology development, adoption and diffusion. The project focussed on South Africa as well as a high level overview of the strategic and environmental risks in Zimbabwe.
• Consultancy services for a cost benefit and comparative analysis of Shale Gas vs. Nuclear Power for the South African Department of Energy including an analysis of policy requirements, permitting, licensing, environmental issues, pricing methodologies, funding, tariff impacts and construction schedule and related risks
• Financial modelling, business planning and assistance with the execution of a capital raising strategy and potential privatisation of NTP Radioisotopes (Pty) Ltd.
• Financial modelling, business case compilation and debt fund structuring for the Nelson Mandela Children’s Hospital, including government negotiations. Dominic was also responsible for the management of the entire Hospital Operator procurement process, drafting tender documents, creating scoring matrices, running the RFP adjudication workshops and managing a virtual dataroom.
• Financial modelling and project information memorandum compilation for the debt raising for the Beitbridge Border Post rehabilitation project.
• Dr. George Mukhari Hospital PPP feasibility - Financial advisor to Driver Consortium that advises the Gauteng Department of Health on the final feasibility study and subsequent procurement phase of this new hospital.
• Assistance in numerous proposal submissions and advisory projects relating to renewable energy projects, healthcare infrastructure and rail transport.
• Bachelor of Arts (Corporate Communication)
• Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) - Honours
• Qualified Chartered Accountant – CA(SA)
• Registered with the South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA)
Manager: Global Infrastructure – Africa
Tel: +27 82 718 4587
||“Healthcare is a basic human right and so it should be, not only for those who can afford to pay for services but for all citizens, hence my passion and commitment to contribute towards making evidence based quality care accessible to all.” Learn more about Jackie’s experience and expertise. |
Jackie is a Principal Consultant with expertise in pharmaceuticals, public and private healthcare sector. She has 8 years’ experience in clinical nursing and management of primary healthcare clinics, as a registered nurse qualified in general nursing, community health, midwifery and psychiatry. Before joining KPMG, Jackie spent 9 years in the pharmaceutical industry in various roles from sales, key accounts management and market access.
Her responsibilities included, but were not limited to
• Providing leadership and strategic direction to the marketing department in order to ensure the company’s products obtain and maintain optimal pricing, reimbursement status and listing on tenders, while facilitating patient access to the best available treatment
• Driving the cross-functional elaboration of profit-optimised pricing and market access strategies for projects/products across different target indications and for their whole life cycle
• Integration of pricing and reimbursement considerations into target product profiles, target product claims, marketing strategies, business plans in collaboration with the business units and the global product teams
• Developing health economics arguments and value evidence to facilitate optimal pricing/reimbursement and market access
• Responsible for external relationships with industry trade groups and payers on reimbursement
• Analyse reimbursement trends and proposed legislation in public and private healthcare segments that have predictable impacts on the company’s products
• Identify positive reimbursement trends and opportunities for the company’s products and develop strategic and tactical initiatives to position products.
Jackie is the author of a book titled: Healthcare Professionals and Job Satisfaction: are we missing the point?
• Masters in Public Health, Health systems management and policy (University of Limpopo Medunsa)
• Bachelor of Arts Psychology and Sociology (Vista University)
• Diploma in General nursing, Community Health, Midwifery and Psychiatry (Bonalesedi Nursing College)
Principal Consultant, Healthcare, South Africa and Africa
Tel: +27 79 693 8740
||“I am passionate about healthcare because everyone will, at some point, rely on a healthcare system and be forced to place their trust in that system. I believe it is their right to receive the best possible service and treatment.” Learn more about Stephanie’s experience and expertise. |
Stephanie Gormley recently joined the KPMG healthcare team as a consultant. She has played an active role in the public health sector since 2010.
Prior to working with KPMG, Stephanie was involved in conducting research that informed and was used to evaluate programmes and strategies aimed at high HIV-risk populations. - She has been involved in developing various case studies of good practice, designing and testing capacity building models, as well as quantitative and qualitative research and analysis of routine monitoring and evaluation data.
Stephanie has experience in conducting both qualitative and quantitative research.
She has also been involved in the development of capacity development programmes for high HIV-risk populations. This included developing training materials and conducting training workshops. Stephanie has also been involved in market research conducted with government departments and healthcare workers in South Africa, Lesotho and Kenya to inform the potential roll-out of new HIV prevention technologies.
• Physiology (Msc) –University of the Witwatersrand (2009 – present)
• Honours in Experimental Physiology (BSc (Hons))– University of the Witwatersrand (2008)
• BSc (Human Anatomy & Physiology) –University of the Witwatersrand (2005 – 2007)
Consultant, Healthcare, South Africa and Africa
Tel: +27 82 719 3176