Capturing the insights of 75 healthcare leaders from around the world, as well as in-depth case studies from successful low-cost systems, the report highlights six key areas emerging health systems must focus on in order to keep costs down without compromising on quality:
- People – redesign roles, processes and training to ensure staff are operating at the full extent of their license and training;
- Pathways – separate complex and routine work, identify bottlenecks and move away from ‘batching’ treatments;
- Standardization – demonstrate strong commercial discipline to get the most out of pharmaceutical and equipment purchasing;
- Environment – focus on the use of flexible, future-proof, energy-efficient buildings;
- Technology – use technology such as smartphones, point-of-care testing and portable diagnostics to bring services and decision-making closer to patients;
- Governance – create management structures that empower frontline staff and encourage experimentation.