The report provides review and analysis of:
- financial performance of the ASX50 group of companies as an indicator of the economy in general
- trends by industry sector, with specific focus on the contribution of mining companies and the 'Big 4' banks
- profits reported under statutory and non-statutory (underlying/non-conforming) measures.
- Statutory profits for the miners are significantly down from the peak of the mining boom in 2011, which reflects both a difficult pricing.
- The banks continue to demonstrate steady growth in statutory profit before tax and cash earnings (a non-statutory measure).
- The non-bank, non-miners have recorded modest growth in statutory profits despite the highest level of impairments since 2009.