In 2011 KPMG, in association with CPO Agenda, conducted a global global survey of 585 procurement leaders from across all industry groups and sectors.
Survey results show a lack of focus on ongoing supplier relationship management and even less participation in the 'make versus buy' decision process. It also points at a lack of preparedness around supply chain risk.
This report offers five key recommendations for tackling these challenges:
- A place at the table – Work more closely with key stakeholders, understand the business strategy and priorities and identify how procurement can add value in order to truly become a strategic business partner.
- Stretch beyond cost savings – Ensure there is a sound capability in category. management, strategic sourcing and SRM within the procurement team.
- Assess the optimal procurement operating model.
- Take a more active role in risk management.
- Maximise the use of technology and Management Information.