KPMG's first survey of the global logistics sector reviews the accounting, presentation and disclosure in financial statements of a number of areas that could be especially challenging for the logistics sector, areas where comparability has historically been difficult to achieve.
- The trend for logistics companies to become full service providers also impacts the information needed in the financial statements.
- It is increasingly important for investors to get information about activities and results of different segments.
- Freight forwarding, trucking and rail, as well as contract logistics are the most common reportable segments presented.
- Companies with many different business models, from asset-heavy railway companies to asset-light forwarding companies, can be seen in the logistics sector.
- The proposed new accounting model removing the distinction between operating and finance leases will bring some significant changes to the logistics sector.