KPMG has partnered with the ICAA to take a strategic, big-picture look at how businesses can address environment, social and governance risks and practically incorporate sustainability into their business plan.
This paper identifies 20 key issues relevant to implementing a new strategic approach to sustainability in a corporate context, discussed under four headings:
- Build sustainability into your strategy
- Implement the strategy
- Embed sustainability into core business processes
- Create value through reporting.
- Sustainability issues can potentially affect most elements of business strategy.
- Understanding the broader context in which your organisation operates is a critical first step in incorporating sustainability considerations into business strategy.
- Demonstrating the business value of a sustainability strategy is an essential element of building a sustainable business.
- Meaningful reporting and disclosure of sustainability performance is essential for informing decision-making and appraising how an organisation is tracking against strategy and targets.