The amendments contained in the Bill, if passed, will introduce the following:
- Labour Market Testing
- extra time provided to workers after ceasing employment with their sponsor
- sponsorship obligations and compliance.
This Migration Newsflash includes further details of the proposed legislation and implications for employers.
- Under the amended legislation, sponsors must undertake Labour Market Testing (LMT) in relation to subclass 457 nominated occupations.
- To demonstrate LMT, the sponsor will be required to have sought a suitable qualified Australian citizen or permanent resident within 6 months prior to submission of an application for nomination approval.
- The introduction of LMT for subclass 457 visas is likely to affect companies hiring trade occupations in the first instance, but could extend to occupations in the Manager and Professional categories in future.