This KPMG International survey was conducted in mid-2013 through face-to-face interviews with 165 senior leaders from leading engineering and construction companies in 29 countries.
- Invest in people – Ensure recruits have sufficient skills and sector knowledge.
- Enhance management of mega-projects – The scale of infrastructure projects is increasing. Companies have to step up accordingly.
- Create a true risk management culture – Many risk controls are in place. Now is the time to ensure contractors are fully aware of and observing the controls.
- Standardise – In a sector that's grown rapidly through mergers and acquisitions, standardisation has become an important goal in project and risk management.
- Become a strategic partner with clients – By working closely with clients, engineering and construction companies have the opportunity to gain more control over future projects and find innovative ways to reduce costs. This should bring reliability to forecasting and resourcing.