We examine the impact and consequences of the recent turmoil in the financial markets, and we think beyond the current drama to identify the longer term tax risks and opportunities of other major developments in the industry, including:
- Key trends in corporate taxation of the financial services sector, and possible actions entities in this sector could consider in responding to these to add long-term sustainable value.
- Asia-Pacific tax authorities’ growing focus on foreign investors perceived to be seeking tax advantages through ‘treaty shopping’, and what this means for structuring.
- High priority transfer pricing issues and developments, including an examination of the developments affecting off-shore hedge funds and private equity firms.
- The raft of reforms and tax changes making the Chinese insurance market more attractive to foreign investors, and the new challenges resulting from the pace of these changes.
- The biggest shake-up of taxation in the European Single Market since it was launched, and the likely costs and complexities this will result in for financial companies with outdated IT.